A great slaw for summer. Best served alongside grilled or smoked meat, such as Grilled Bone-in Pork Chops.
- 1 small Green cabbage about 1 pound, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 small Fennel bulb thinly shaved (about 1 cup)
- 1 small Red onion thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 Tart-crisp apple such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut in to thin strips
- 1 tsp Kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Neutral oil such as grapeseed or canola
- 2 tbsp Lime juice about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tsp Honey or more to taste
- 1 tsp Celery seed
- 1/2 tsp Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup Loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro mint, or basil
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, fennel, onion and apple. Season with the salt and toss to combine. (The cabbage may need more salt, so taste as you go.)
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the vinegar, oil, lime juice, honey, celery seed and pepper. Taste, and sweeten with more honey, if desired, and season with a small pinch of salt. Slowly pour the vinaigrette over the slaw ingredients, using just enough to lightly coat all the cabbage. (You may have some left over.) Toss the slaw to evenly distribute the vinaigrette, then fold in the herb of your choosing.