It may be the most famous dish to eat on St. Patrick’s Day!
Corned Beef and Cabbage
This Irish-American classic is a favorite all year long!
- 1 4 pound beef brisket with spice packet
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 lb small peeled potatoes
- 8 medium carrots halved crosswise
- 1 medium cabbage cut into wedges
- Horseradish Sauce
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cooking juices from corned beef
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- Mustard Sauce
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Place brisket, seasoning packet, brown sugar, and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Add cabbage and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- For Horseradish sauce strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices.
- Cut beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables and Horseradish Sauce.
- Horseradish Sauce: In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in cooking juices, stir in sugar and horseradish. Bring to a boil constantly stirring.
- Mustard Sauce: Mix all ingredients.