Yellow squash fresh from the garden. Even with the other core ingredients, the star of the dish is the squash.
Country Squash Bake
Fresh yellow squash bake is almost a meal unto itself.
- 10 large yellow squash 1/4" wheels
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted & cooled
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Place squash and onion in pan, and add water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and lightly mash.
- Combine squash mixture, sour cream, and next 3 ingredients, and mix well.
- Ladle into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine cracker crumbs and remaining 3 ingredients; toss well. Sprinkle over squash.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until crust is firm and dish is thoroughly heated.
- Serves 6-8.